Toll Free 1-800-848-6288


What Should I Do If I'm Injured at Work?

If you were to sustain an injury at work, would you know what to do? Knowing the proper protocol if you’re injured at work could help to prevent a bad situation from becoming worse. Work related injuries can become complicated, but knowing what to do from the get-go can make the process simpler and less intimidating. Follow these key steps if you are ever injured while at work.

1. Report Your Injury

Regardless of the nature or severity, always report any injury at work to your supervisor immediately. This also includes illnesses caused by something at work or your work environment itself. If, for example, there was mold in your office building that made you sick, you should consider this a work-related illness. It is best to have your injury or accident report in writing, if you should ever need proof for your records. It will also be required that you have an official report on file within a certain time period in order to be considered for worker’s compensation.

Your supervisor should also be made aware of your injury and the cause so that measures can be put in place to prevent future injuries on the same grounds.

2. See a Doctor

Visit your doctor, or go to an emergency room if the injury needs immediate attention, and keep records of any and all visits pertaining to the injury. You may be able to seek compensation, so keep records of your visits and track any expenses you paid, including mileage to get to the medical facilities, any out-of-pocket expenses and prescription costs. If you wish to seek a second opinion from another doctor, you may do so and seek compensation.

Keep in mind, if you see a doctor from your company, they may not act objectively. Your company could be looking to cut costs and play down the seriousness of your injury or illness to avoid high expenses, so we recommend you seek care from a physician you trust.

3. Request a Workers’ Compensation Claim

If you haven’t already, inform your employer of your injury and request that they file a worker’s compensation claim for you. You are entitled to a copy of the claim for your own records. This claim is essentially a request for benefits supplied by your employer. If they, for any reason, do not have the paperwork to file the claim, contact your nearest Workers’ Compensation Office.

If your employer disputes your claim, or if there are any other complexities with your injury or case, you should contact a worker’s compensation lawyer for assistance. A good worker’s compensation attorney, like those at Berry, Smith & Bartell, a Professional Law Corporation, will be able to help guide you through the process and fight for your due compensation.

For a free case evaluation with Berry, Smith & Bartell, a Professional Law Corporation call 1-800-848-6288 today!

logo Berry, Smith and Bartell
Berry, Smith and Bartell logo

Decades of Workers' Compensation Experience in the Central Valley

Types of workers